Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Indiana Hires Fred Glass as New AD

Indiana is slowly establishing a new normal following the Kelvin Sampson debacle. All that remains is the NCAA's announcement of penalties, given todays announcement that Fred Glass has been hired as the new Athletic Director:

Fred Glass, an Indianapolis attorney, was introduced as Indiana's next athletic director Tuesday morning.

"When your alma mater comes calling, that is truly an honor," said Glass, who earned bachelor's and law degrees from IU in 1981 and 1984, respectively. "Indiana University athletics have long been a benchmark of excellence - both academically and athletically - and I will do everything within my power to enable our athletic teams to meet all the expectations of our great fans."

Other comments seem to indicate that Glass intends to clean up Indiana's tarnished reputation:

"I accepted this job because I love big, tough challenges," Glass said during a news conference. "We had been very proudly promoting that we had never had a major infraction in 50 years, and I think we can still do that. But that's why I say job one is making sure Indiana University follows the rules." . . .

"Indiana is in my blood and I love IU. But this is not about the past, it's about the future," Glass said. "I want Indiana athletics to become known as a a national leader for three things: Following the rules, a commitment to academics and, finally, excellence in athletics."

Best wishes to Glass!

No comments: