Wednesday, September 12, 2007

New NCAA Football Divisions Proposed

From Nowpublic.com. Hee Hee.

Division 1-A is now officially called "Division I, Football Bowl Subdivision (Division I-FBS)" and I-AA is called "Division I, Football Championship Subdivision (Division I-FCS)." But I do not think the NCAA should have stopped there. They should have gone further. They should go the full route and really create names that will hopefully end any and all confusion. They should have further broken them down as follows:

Division I, Football Bowl Subdivision, Teams That Get the BCS Bowls (Division I-FBSTTGBB)

This division would include the usual suspects of LSU, USC, Texas, and whoever wins the Big East and the football-tradition rich Atlantic Coast Conference.

Division I, Football Bowl Subdivision, We Are Notre Dame and Do Not Give a Hoot About Anyone Else (Division I-WANDADNGHAAE)

Of course, this would be Notre Dame. Perhaps they might get a tatse of some humble pie this year and be realigned into Division I-FBSTTGBB.

Division I, Football Bowl Subdivision, Teams That Get the BCS Shaft (Division I-FBSTTGBS)

This division would include schools like Boise State and other mid level programs that have excellent seasons but get denied BCS bowl berths because they are not one of the big boys. We will treat last year's Boise State team as an anomaly for now.

Division I, Football Bowl Subdivision, Teams That Don't Really Belong Except That They Are in A Big Conference(Division I-FBSTTDRBETTAC)

Here you would put schools like Indiana and Vanderbilt. OK, Vanderbilt has been getting better every year, but they seemed such a natural fit because of their history.

Division I, Football Bowl Subdivision, Teams That Only Belong Because of Tradition (Division I-FBSTTOBBT)

This would include schools like Army and Navy, even though Navy might actually have a shot at beating Notre Dame This Year.

Division I, Football Championship Subdivision, Teams That Don't Offer Scholarships (Division I-FCSTTDOS)

This division would hold the Patriot and Ivy Leagues.

Division I, Football Championship Subdivision, Teams That Offer Scholarships (Division I-FCSTTOS)

This would be the rest of the old Division 1-AA teams.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can merge Division I-WANDADNGHAAE and I-FBSTTOBBT, but otherwise I like it! And no offense taken about Vanderbilt -- I know we're not going to win anything as long as we're in the cheatingest sports confederation in the history of humankind.